Tags

, , , , , ,

patternpics

Lately, every time I sit down at my sewing machine, something is new. A new pattern, a new technique, a new sewing dodad (such as my recently acquired used Sew Steady table) a new goal I have set for myself, a new contest. Frankly, it is exhilarating and exhausting at the same time. I hardly was able to sew at all in May as my middle child graduated from High School but in June I don’t think I have gone a single day without some sewing. Oh, and work. There is that as well.

So, I thought I would forgo “separates week” at the Monthly Stitch. Because, well,  I have never deliberately sewn any separates, and what would I sew and when would I sew it, and I have many sewing projects on my list and they aren’t separates.

But, here I am. With an entry. The thing is 1.  There was a shorts pattern I was testing for Kennis at Itch to Stitch (just let me say here, IT. IS. AWESOME.) and 2. I had purchased the Genavieve pattern based on a review I read a while back. The two seemed to go together.

separatesmain

Okay, so I have never really sewn any pants. I have sewn my daughter two pairs of pajama pants and they both stunk.  I have always been terrified of pants. But when Kennis sent out her testing call I applied as I loved the pattern for the style but especially for the details. This was a pair of shorts with details of high end garments. The front angle pockets as well as the large back pockets have beautiful top stitching details (hard to see on the yellow) and in the shorter version there is a cute coin pocket and tabs and all sorts of optional details to really help one make a stand out garment.

pocketdetail

anthercloseup

completebackI made up a muslin to practice the construction techniques and for fit. Gads…I could sew pants! Going step by step and following her instructions, it was a breeze. Even the fly front zip, no problem! Each step was so carefully illustrated. I finished all my seams as I went along so after sewing the fly front and the pockets, everything went super fast. Many testers made the shorter version and they are super cute and the fit in general seemed to work for many body types. I sewed up a size 14 with only a slight alteration to the back darts. I definitely will sew this pattern again. The pattern is scheduled for release very soon, Kennis did not have an exact date yet but here is a link to her fb page where the release will be announced.

Materials and notions used were; 2.5 yards of lighweight canvas from stash, poly thread in eggshell, 9″ white zip, poly twill tape, interfacing.

The Genavieve. There are many things I really liked about this pattern such as the deep V on the back bodice and the bias bound front neckline;

blacktop

and one big thing I did not. The manner in which the back and front bodices are joined. I struggled. I have since looked at numerous versions on line and their joins look fabulous so it was me, but I could not get a nice finish there. Also, due to time constraints I could not make a muslin so my fit is off; a bit snug here and a bit gappy there. All fixable with enough time. Also, I do think the top would wear more comfortably if sewn with a knit.

As much as possible all seams were serged which made this little tank a super quick sew. And, oh the possibilities. The Genavieve has three lengths with three different bodice options. I want to try them all!

Materials and notions used were: 1.5 yards of poly shantung from stash, black thread, and that’s it! Quick and easy.

So glad I went ahead and participated in the separates category. Anther first in my sewing adventure!

shortsfeature

Advertisements